Thursday, December 16, 2010

Importance of speaking up in group discussions

In 1974, after my M.Sc, I went for a selection test for Management Trainee in a leading textile manufacturing company of that time. Those days, there were very few MBAs and companies got their management cadre by taking graduates as Management Trainees and training them on the job. I passed the aptitude test with very high marks and the next stage was group discussion. I was not aware of what happens in a group discussion and went totally unprepared. It was my first group discussion experience.
The topic was of general knowledge, but I could not talk as I was shy during that time and my English was not as fluent as that of others in the group. I just listened to all other speakers who were all speaking quite eloquently, but I hardly opened my mouth. Naturally I did not pass that round.
After this bad experience, I analysed my shortcomings. I realized there were at least two – (a) Inadequate fluency in English and (b) No in-depth knowledge of topics.
These two are solvable problems, if only one takes adequate measures well in time. Fluency needs a good set of vocabulary so that you can sue the right word for the right meaning. Knowledge comes from reading.
Here is how I went about getting enough vocabulary for myself - I used to read English newspaper (The Hindu that time), but never bothered to find out the meaning of words coming there. After this debacle of group discussion, I started noting down five words every day, getting their meaning and using that word in my own writing. Those days, there were limited opportunities for writing – so I started writing letters to the Editor. I must have written 60 letters over a period, and none of them got published. But I learnt my English. At the rate of 5 words per day, in a year I could accumulate around 2000 words. You may be surprised to know that normal Business English just needs this many. So start today so that you have your stock of words. There is no short cut to this. These days, you have ample opportunities to write. Either start your own blog or write comments on this blog, using the words learnt. Even if no one reads your blog or comments, you will have improved your own English.
Secondly, you need to be aware of general interest topics. Make a point of reading newspapers, business magazines, journals, websites, TV news channels related to general interest and industry related topics.
If you do the above two, you will have adequate knowledge of topics and fluency in English. What you need now is good speaking skills and also good listening skills. In a group discussion, if you completely dominate others and do not listen to others or put others down, no one will like you. You need to be knowledgeable, but humble and give enough chances for others. This needs practice. So go ahead and make groups of your friends, select topics and actually get mock interview practice at your level.

3 comments:

  1. Hello Vijay Sir,

    This Is Shubhashish, had a conversation with you earlier via mail, hope you remember. I read the topic of importance of GD.

    Sir most probably campus in our college are starting from 15 of jan and we had our exams right now.

    Most probably we would get 15 around days for our preparation. So please give us a guideline for the preparation. Whether to stress upon clearing written exams and to concentrate on that or should focus on The PI round.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have to pass the written exam - otherwise you will not get called for interview. For passing written exams, which is on aptitude, you will have to take separate help because different companies will have different types. You should also be thorough in your subjects for the technical round which only you can prepare by reading completely. My blog is for the HR round which is the last round.

    ReplyDelete