Sunday, December 12, 2010

Be aware of first impressions

I was to fly to Kolkata from Pune and I had just boarded the flight which was already late by 1 hour. Plane was just taxiing off when I heard a loud voice from four seats in front of me shouting “This plane will not take off, stop it”. All passengers were wondering and I even thought it must be a hijacker. But the person shouting was a well dressed man over 70 years of age. As the frightened  cabin crew came running, he repeated his earlier sentence and added “I am telling you from last 15 minutes that I have lost one of  my mobiles and am not able to get any replies from it when I call. That mobile contains all my contact numbers  and if I lose it, there well be loss of crores of rupees. I  have to get out of the plane now”. Attempt to pacify him by cabin crew and finally pilot failed and they decided that he would be disembarked. But it was not that simple – his baggage had to be taken out from plane and cabin baggage of all of us other passengers needed to be identified which took another 30 minutes. Finally, the doors opened and ladder cam to take the passenger out when a curious air hostess went to the seat he had just vacated and found that the mobile was lying on his seat. It was in silent mode and he was possibly sitting on it without knowing that it was there. There was an option of retaining the passenger as the need for disembarking hi was no longer there as his mobile was found, but all of us shouted that he shoud not be allowed to stay back. We had already formed an impression in our mind that he needed to be punished.
First impressions are easy to form and difficult to erase. Ensure that you start your interview with a good first impression.

No comments:

Post a Comment